Re: indents

I am satisfied with sub-classing for now. There's not a great amount of
difference between <initialpara> and <p class=initial>. It fits well with
the idea of creating a new "kind" of paragraph element based on the
properties of it's parent. Were you to create a new stand alone element the
classing would not be obvious or easily extensible by the author. While you
can introduce new elements into the SGML definition of the HTML document,
it then becomes overloaded with tags. If you go to a SGML browser then
every document on the web will require a definition to go along with it.
That's why we have HTML, a single type of document we can all use and rely
upon for the exchange of information (or that's how it was intended). But I
find that I want elements not defined in HTML so I would like to create my
own. Basing them on existing HTML elements means everyone can still read
the page. I like what's being done with XML but still need to understand it
more.

In direct answer to David's proposal, I don't think structure should make
typographical sense. Whatever solution is found for typographers to
decorate their paragraphs, it will have to be outside of structure.
Hmm...that p:initial pseudo-class is starting to look better and better...

Steve

At 11:50 PM 4/15/97 +0000, you wrote:
>David Siegel wrote:
>> Ahah. So maybe it happens that first paragraphs should have a structural
>> mark-up tag in HTML, one that is STANDARD? While this makes perfect sense
>> to typographers, I can see how it might take a while to convince
>> structuralists.
>
>Is not the fact that the paragraph is first a sufficient differentiation
>from the other paragraphs? Why duplicate that information?
>
> Paul Prescod

   _/ Steve Knoblock
   _/ City Gallery - History of Photography http://www.webcom.com/cityg
   _/ Member NSA http://www.3d-web.com/nsa/sw.html