Re: colours for bullets - this one is simple, works, & addresses

David Perrell wrote:
> An inline element such as Object?

I think that that's an abuse of markup. <FIGURE> would be better. The
content of objects are supposed to be alternate text, not "just the
text." I supposed if OBJECT were defined to either pull in an object, or
define some document content as an object that would work.

> Currently, it's legal to put a table outside of a paragraph but not to
> float one inside. If the spec were changed to conform to the 'bug' in
> IE and N, tables could still be forced outside the paragraph with a
> closing tag, but could also be floated inside so the paragraph could
> wrap around the table.

But you could change the spec in a way that does not change the meaning
of people's documents as described above.

> The cost of the spec change would be that authors who hoped their
> tables would get a full paragraph space between a table and a preceding
> paragraph without a closing tag would be disappointed to learn their
> tables would continue to be seen by most viewers with only a simple
> line break as separation.

I don't see these things in terms of line breaks and paragraph breaks,
but in terms of document structure. When I reference that table object
from within a stylesheet or through a structure-based hyperlink, is the
table within the paragraph or not? Who cares what it looks like! You can
make a stylesheet to make it look however you want. Heck, with a
stylesheet language like DSSSL you could make it appear in an arbitrary
point in the document!

I am still not convinced, however, that the browsers interpret it as if
there were no paragraph break. Otherwise, why don't they put they treat
the table the way they would an image, with text on both sides? No
matter how small the table is, it goes to its own line, as if it were a
figure in a book.

 Paul Prescod