colours for bullets - this one is simple, works, & addresses the question

I currently use this in one of my external style sheets:

ol    { color: IndianRed; }    /* specify text color */
li    { color: Orange; }         /* specify bullet color */

The following code gives Orange markers and IndianRed text.

<ol>
<li></li> A style sheet is composed of rules, i.e., p { color: Indigo;
text-indent: 18pt;}.
<li></li> Rules are composed of selectors and declarations, i.e.,
<ol type=alpha>
<li></li> p [a selector] and
<li></li> { color: Indigo; text-indent: 18pt;} [two declarations].
</ol>
<li></li> Declarations are composed of properties and values, i.e.,
<ol type=alpha>
<li></li> color [a property] and
<li></li> Indigo [a value].
</ol>
</ol>

The trick to color separation is in closing the LI element. If it's left
unclosed, then the LI color will take precedence over the OL color and the
entire line is Orange.

BTW, this works in IE3.02 and in NN4.0b3. The exception is that the NN beta
does not implement inheritance very well yet! The placement I'm using is
within a pair of paragraph elements, but NN falls back to the body margins
for list placement. If interested, this page can be viewed at
http://gordon.diginsite.com/css/css_info.html  (go easy on your review of
this material as it is intended for the company intranet !).

enjoy,
gordon
gordon@gly.fsu.edu