Re: CSS Printing Extensions

David Perrell wrote:

> Hakon Lie wrote:
> > A new W3C Working Draft, CSS Printing Extensions, has been
> released
> > for review by W3C members and other interested parties... [1].
> Comments from
> > non-members should be sent to www-style@w3.org.
>
> The page break properties need another value: 'never'.
>
> A common use for this value would be for heads and subheads to be
> specified with 'page-break-after: never', thus keeping the
> head/subhead
> with the following paragraph of text and avoiding orphaned
> heads/subheads at the bottom of pages.
>
> There are two notes in the draft regarding the suppression of page
> breaks before and after stating "the syntax is not yet defined." Is
> there a word more syntactically consistent with 'always' than
> 'never'?
>
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-print
>
> David Perrell

While at first blush, the "page-break-after: never" seems like an
obvious extension, I would suggest a different, widely accepted
stylistic attribute: "keep-with-next" and "keep-with-previous". These
give you the same functionallity needed for the  'page-break-after:
never', as well keeping headlines together in a multi-column layout.

Greg Kostello                        mailto://kostello@digitalstyle.com
DigitalStyle Corporation                   http://www.digitalstyle.com/
10875 Rancho Bernardo Road, Suite 110             voice: (619) 618-2222
San Diego, CA 92127                                 fax: (619) 673-5054