Re: msie style error?

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Carl Morris wrote:

> take a look at this html in MSIE 3.0:
>
> 	<P STYLE="margin-left: 1%; margin-right: 1%">
>
> 	<!-- first of all, this P tag should only effect the following table
> when a non-table-enabled browser views this page, why is this P tag's
> style affecting this at all?  Is MSIE chock full of style bugs further
> than any MS programmer can ever hope to reverse?  Its gotta be close!
> -->

The problem with both MSIE's and NSN's parsers is that they actually *NEST*
block-level elements. If you don't end a paragraph with an end tag (</P>),
then the next {table,list,image,hard rule} is considered part of the
paragraph. Result: no space between paragraph and said element, inheritance
of style properties {in IE} and various other tidbits which shoule NOT
happen because paragraphs do *NOT* have to be implicitly terminated with end
tags. The way around this is to use </P> a lot more than you should.

This feature can also be used to adjust spacing between block elements, but
this is definetely not something you should be able to do like this...

--
 If my opinions were my employers', they'd be pretty wierd opinions.
         Stephanos Piperoglou <*> http://users.hol.gr/~spip/

                                            ...oof porothika! (tm)