Re: Frames and Documents (fwd)

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Paul Prescod wrote:

> I don't have any problem with having documents from different URLs appearing
> in different frames, but don't you think that the syntax for linking
> together the different documents should be orthogonal from the syntax for
> determining what frames they go in? I am thinking about something like this:

*I* don't have a problem with seperate documents in each frame, but how do
you reference a specific document in a specific frame, at a specific
position, in a different HTML document? Or do you propose something like:

<A LAYOUTDOC="frameset.html" HREF="windowname1,document1.html"
HREF="windowname2,document2.html"> or even

<FRAMELINK LAYOUTSRC="frameset.html">
<FRAMECONTENT FRAMENAME="navbar" HREF="navbar.html">
<FRAMECONTENT FRAMENAME="logo" HREF="companylogo.html">
<FRAMECONTENT FRAMENAME="main" HREF="section2_3.4.html#part03">
</FRAMELINK>

?????

The *only* way I see around this is if one of the documents is clearly
defined as the main document so you could reference that. If

<A HREF="section2_3.4.html#part03">

gave me this document, scrolled to position with NAME "part03", and
optionally gave me some navigation bars or logos or whatever, then I could
live with it. But if these where in seperate documents, how would a
non-frame aware browser display them? Not at all, I guess, and give me this
document with no way of knowing where it came from, where the TOC is and so
on. THAT'S why we need all the frames in *one* document.

== Stephanos Piperoglou = spip@hol.gr = http://users.hol.gr/~spip/ ==
 If my opinions were my employers', they'd be pretty wierd opinions.
"I want peace on earth and good will toward man"
"We're the United States Government, we don't do that sort of thing!"
                           - Whistler and Abbot from `Sneakers'

                                            ...oof porothika! (tm)