Re: Relative weight - reader vs. author styles

Chris Lilley wrote:
> Conceptually the default stylesheet is what the browser normally uses
> to display a document, and conceptually this is always present
otherwise
> there is no document display.

No argument there.

I argued that this default stylesheet cannot be treated with the same
precedence as a normal CSS1 stylesheet because some aspects of the
default stylesheet would override author tags. For example, if the
default stylesheet set margins for HTML or BODY, the margin properties
for the BODY tag in MSIE would no longer work at all.

But I was thinking of tag properties as distinct from stylesheet
declarations. If tag properties are considered as simply the lowest
level of style declaration, tags that affect styling in an author's
document become part of the author's stylesheet and override a reader's
stylesheet properties.

For example, if the body tag in the document sets BGCOLOR=red and the
reader's stylesheet declares BODY { background: url(some.png)}, the
background will be red because, conceptually, the BGCOLOR attribute of
BODY is a style declaration.

Suggestion: Separate the elements of style from the semantics. In
defining the precedence of author over reader style declarations,
consider stylistic attributes without regard to how those attributes
are declared.

David Perrell