Re: column flow (was floating images...)

Hakon Lie wrote:

> We discussed the use of the term "gutter" in this context. While this
> proposal uses the word "gutter" in the description, the term is not
> used in the CSS syntax. We should remove "gutter" entirely in the
next
> revision.

For the sake of consistency and greater control, how about
'column-margin' and 'column-padding'?

Moving across two columns, the sequence would be:

margin, border, padding, column one, column-padding, column-margin,
column-rule, column-margin, column-padding, column two, padding,
border, margin

With a column-margin, background will not appear in the margin and any
border will encompass each column:

 |  +--------------+     +--------------+  |
 |  |  column one  |  |  |  column two  |  |
 |  |  column one  |  |  |  column two  |  |
 |  |  column one  |  |  |  column two  |  |
                    / |    \            |
                   / rule   \         border
               column-      column-
               margin       padding

With only column-padding, background will extend across columns and a
border will encompass all:

 |  |  column one  |  column two  |  |
 |  |  column one  |  column two  |  |
 |  |  column one  |  column two  |  |