Re: what happens if first-line contains markup?

> From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
> Lauren Wood writes:
>
>  > This raises another question that I've been thinking about for a
while -
>  > it says that the STYLE attribute should win. This means that if
someone
>  > is silly enough to write
>  > <FONT COLOR="red" STYLE="color: blue"> that they should get blue
text.

> Since the two are in direct conflict, the STYLE attribute should win
> (as defined in 3.2 of the CSS1 spec). It's less clear for other
> stylisitc attributes, and the spec does not dictate any behavior.
> Perhaps we should?

It should be made clear in the draft that this applies to attributes
other than ALIGN, and that, as Chris Wilson said, if someone uses <I
STYLE='font-style:none'> that it ends up in plain text. Otherwise users
are going to be trying to figure out why that happened.

In the section on block-level vs inline elements, it does state that
browsers may hard-code that the HTML 2 elements are either block or
inline depending on the element. If this is to be an option for the
style sheet mechanism (e.g. some browsers may always render <I> as
italic), this should be stated. Personally, I wouldn't mind defining
that B, I, TT should always be rendered as bold, italic and mono-spaced
as befits the names, although the EM, STRONG, CODE etc elements should
be able to have the rendering information changed. This would probably
confuse users unfortunately.

Lauren