Re: backgrounds..

Carl Morris writes:
 > But Bert, can you shed some light on the otherpart?  An <H1> tag is a
 > block tag correct?  Even though that tag is centered, aligned left, or
 > aligned right, should the entire background from margin to margin be
 > colored as described or should just the area imidiately under the text
 > be colored...  That is my question...
 >
 > I would feel the whole area should be included in the coloring, which
 > should automatically correct the DIV problems also...

I agree. Whether the text is aligned left, right or center shouldn't
make any difference to the background of a block element. The
background extends from margin to margin, no matter how much text
there is or where it aligns.

To get the other effect, a centered title with just the area behind
the text in colour, one has to use an inline element (such as SPAN or
EM) inside the H1.

 > I see a post from Thomas of MS though, so...
 >
 > I find the spec too quick of a spec, with not enough clearification for
 > how the style should be applied in certian instances...  However I hear
 > about conformance testing being a future project and maybe that will
 > help shed some more light in these types of issues...

We decided to keep the spec short, and hope for a tutorial later (by
us, or by others). I noticed that there is already a tutorial on
Microsoft's site, though I haven't read it (I don't have to, I already
know how it works:-) )

More people have asked for exact conformance criteria, so we started
some work on that. That basically means we are on the look-out for
good examples to put in an archive of some sort. The proper behaviour
of background on different kinds of elements is certainly going to be
in there. But there will be cases where it is impossible to say that a
certain result is wrong, because it may depend on limitations in the
medium (if you run out of colours on the screen, is that a conformance
failure?)

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/Bos/                      INRIA/W3C
  +33 93 65 77 71                 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France