Re: FW: Font-family specification

Scott E. Preece writes:

 > Chris has interpreted the draft as allowing multiple font-family names
 > in the specification of the font property.  That took me a little by
 > surprise, but I guess the spec actually does imply that is allowed.  If
 > this is correct, I agree with Chris that expecting to be able to
 > distinguish a font-family from a font-weight from a font-style by value
 > is unacceptable.

Why? Do we have any fonts called "bold", "demi-bold" or "2.3"? What is
the chance of someone naming a new font that will conflict?  If that
happens one will have to use the 'font-family' property instead of
'font', but that is a minor (and highly unlikely) inconveniece.

The 'font' property is a shorthand notation intended to make life
easier if you write style sheets by hand. The syntax is an old
typographic convention. Requireing extra punctuatation in the value
defeats the purpose of the property.

Another solution is to limit the number of font names to 1 in the
'font' property:

 a)  font: 12pt/14pt sans-serif bold;  /* legal */
 b)  font: 12pt/14pt helvetica sans-serif bold;  /* illegal? */

I would prefer also allowing b).

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/People/howcome  howcome@w3.org