Re: backgrounds

If you ponder about using animated backgrounds on your pages (or the
ability to do so) simply check out http://www.imusic.com   -- hopefully
that will get it out of your mind.

rick
http://www.whooya.com

----------
: From: F. E. Potts <fepotts@fepco.com>
: To: wbrooks@trumpet.aix.calpoly.edu
: Cc: www-html@w3.org; www-style@w3.org
: Subject: Re: backgrounds
: Date: Friday, August 30, 1996 8:24 PM
:
: On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, David Perrell wrote:
: > > Wouldn't it be nice if you could specify a background as an
: > > animated GIF - and have it work?
:
: On Fri, 30 Aug 1996 13:59:09 -0600, Bill Brooks answered:
: > Wouldn't it be nice if people would concentrate on content, rather
: > than on thinking up new "features" for whiz-bang presentation?
: >
: > Wouldn't it be nice if people would use the WWW as a medium for
: > information exchange, rather than as a high-tech replacement for
: > television?
:
: I generally hate "Me-too" responses, but in this instance I feel it is
: warranted.
:
: Rightly or wrongly, I see the web as a medium for electronic
: publishing, the first major step forward since Johannes Gutenberg's
: Bible in 1440.  Anything that distracts from my visitors' ability to
: concentrate on, enjoy, and absorb the content on my site is (IMO) a bad
: thing.
:
: Animations very much fall into this class, as do Java applets, marquee,
: and server push.  Too many folks seem to be trying to turn the web into
: another form of TV (complete with animated advertisements), not seeming
: to realize that it is an entirely different -- and to me, far superior
: -- form of communication.
:
: Now background animations and BGSOUND are being given serious
: consideration, and it won't be long before all we have is a 2nd-rate
: clone of the worst elements of TV spreading like the blight it is over
: the planet.  Is this what we are all working so hard for, to help the
: advertisers hype their consumer garbage in "cyberspace" just as they
: do everywhere else?  :-(
:
: -fep
: