Re: Generic Markup [was:Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar]

At 10:20 PM 8/9/96 GMT, Gavin Nicol wrote:
>As a followup to Keith's excellent message, I should note that the
>only reason you really need a DTD in a non-validating system is to
>specify whether tags can be omitted or not.

Another important use for DTDs is for establishing mappings with other
element systems (i.e. HTML's ICADD attribute, TEI's TEIFORM attribute, etc.)
I think it would be dangerous to build an information system that was
neither based on a particular set of element names NOR had a mechanism for
mapping to a standardized set of element names. That sounds like a recipe
for chaos to me.

 Paul Prescod