Re: (X)HTML5 + SMIL?

Regarding HTML5, i think that interoperability may be a difficult road to
hoe, especially if there's only one or two people advocating for it.

If i were to put together a proposal (and i'd like to), i would ideally like
to have usecases for where SMIL is being used now, what usecases HTML5
support would enable developers/users to do, and examples of things people
are putting together to get around a lack of support in browsers as it
stands (e.g. fake smile).

This is all info that needs to be gathered from the SMIL community.  So if
you have examples, i would love to hear about them.

I'm aware of some places where SMIL is used, i know that Hulu uses the
standard to serve to their player, the CDN Highwinds uses SMIL for content
delivery, and the company i work for uses SMIL to dynamically
generate/customize presentations to deliver to users (also to our player).
There's the SMIL subset in SVG that developers can use to enable animation
(i'm hacking up a demo of that too, although there are already several out
there, if you spend a tedious amount of time looking for them).  I'm aware
vaguely that advertising agencies use the standard, but not in any specific
way.

I can draft up cool examples of what SMIL allows people to do and perhaps
hack up some demos, but that isn't the same as having real world examples!

Cheers,

-Ted

P.S. the flipside to all of this is justifying why SMIL may be a better
match than alternatives like just using HTML5+JS, or CSS Animations.  I have
justifications for why SMIL is more useful than HTML5+JS (being that it's
declarative and doesn't open up a cross site scripting hole just by it's
very use), but i need to learn more about CSS animations before i can put
together a coherent argument on that count.