Re: (X)HTML5 + SMIL?

Hey Greg,

My opinion of the matter is this:

SMIL is a standard which has many similar characteristics of working w/ HTML
(i.e. it's a declarative markup language used to reference files), but
lacking any of the things that helped gain mindshare and standardization
amongst developers and designers that HTML has benefited from.  SMIL needs
up to date open references for developers, it needs something akin to HTML's
ACID testing, it needs more demos/tutorials for designers, and most
importantly standard-adhering players that are freely available for people
to use and test in.  That's regarding the full SMIL Language support.

Aside from that, there needs to be more information about how SMIL relates
to actual implementations of user agents (the fact that the SMIL standard
doesn't define ONE language, but actually a modular set of languages).
 People need to be better aware of the fact that SMIL timing can be
incorporated into other XML languages (XHTML, SVG, etc).

If we want people to use SMIL, we need to be able to succinctly explain what
SMIL is, why one would want to use it, and then give them tools that will
let them get something running in 5 minutes, and enough documentation and
tutorials that they don't get frustrated and give up using those tools in 30
minutes.

I've started in on hacking up some of these tools, but they're all in a
nacent stage, since i'm splitting my time at work between writing
documentation/tools and writing production code for our platform.  Here's a
link to the reference i'm putting together (
http://github.com/videojuicer/smil-reference ).  I've got demos in various
stages of functionality at the moment, and once i sort out hosting, i'll
link them up.  You can also see an SVG map of all the SMIL3 modules:
http://knowtheory.net/modules.xhtml or the same thing in PNG form:
http://knowtheory.net/SMIL_Modules_Functional_Grouping.png

I have thoughts on the HTML5 thing, but i will type that up quickly in a
separate email.

Cheers,

-Ted