Re: SMIL for DivX advertisement

On 6-Sep-2007, at 17:31 , Javier Lopez Fernandez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I work for a CDN company and I want to push DivX as technology to
> play high quality videos on Internet.
>

> What my customer is asking to me, is the possibility of add a video
> advertisement before watching the end user content.
> What I need is to play an advertisement before playing the video
> and get it from a different object from my CDN.
> The advertisement needs to be fully watched before starting the video.
> I have seen this functionality available in Flash, but I prefer the
> quality of DivX.
> I have the option of edit each video and put the advertisement at
> the beginning, but this is not efficient when we have lots of video/
> adverts.
>
> Do you know if it is possible to use SMIL Language to do this kind
> of things? I have not seen anything similar on the web.
>
> Could you provide me a solution to this, please?

Doing ad inserts in SMIL is definitely possible, and very simple. The
only question you need to solve is which SMIL player is capable of
playing DivX video. Ambulant should be able to do it if the end user
has loaded the correct DirectShow plugins (on Windows) or built from
source with the right ffmpeg options (Mac/Linux), but this is
probably not something you want to let poor end users do. RealPlayer
I'm not sure about, and other SMIL players even less so.

You could generate the SMIL on the fly and refer to static videos
(both for content and adds).
Goldman