Re: Use of PCM and Vorbis in the Mobile Profile of SMIL 3.0

On 10-Aug-2007, at 18:05 , Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
>> it *seems* that Vorbis requires more CPU to be decoded than a format
>> like AAC, thus rendering its use in a mobile environment more
>> problematic.
>
> This is certainly not correct.  Vorbis actually uses less CPU power
> than AAC.  The problem is that our optimizations were directed to the
> ARM platform, which is not what most mobile platforms use.

Are you referring to the fact that mobile platforms often have DSP
chips or dedicated hardware for audio and video decoding here?
Because I think that literally all mobile devices I've come across in
the last couple of years seem to use an ARM for the main CPU...

If you're indeed referring to the use of coprocessors for media
decoding: would you happen to know how difficult it would be to allow
vendors to also decode Vorbis on such chips? There's probably a
qualitative difference in difficulty for a vendor between (1) hiring
a smart kid to write Vorbis DSP code and (2) getting into
negotiations with your media chip supplier to get them to support
Vorbis in the next release.

The distinction interests me, because in the second case the
inclusion of Vorbis might actually hinder the acceptance of SMIL
among mobile vendors.

Goldman