Re: SMIL: Happy 5th anniversary !

In addition to the projects listed below, we also have the digital talking
book standard, whose HTML can be found at
>  http://www.niso.org/standards/resources/Z39-86-2002.html
SMIL plays a pivotal role in this specification.

>At 05:59 PM 7/15/03 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>>On June 15 1998, i.e. 5 years (and one month :-)) ago,
>>SMIL 1.0 became a W3C Recommendation.
>>
>>It is impressive to see what was achieved since then:
>>
>>- SMIL support in more than 15 "players"
>>http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/#SMIL
>>
>>- SMIL support in more than 20 authoring tools
>>http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/#SMIL2
>>
>>- SMIL is used as foundation for animation in SVG
>>
>>- SMIL is used as media synchronisation and presentation
>>format for 3GPP MMS
>>ftp://ftp.3gpp.org/specs/latest/Rel-5/26_series/26140-510.zip
>>
>>- SMIL is part of MPEG-4 (as XMT)
>>
>>- Impressive applications, e.g.
>>http://www.inria.fr/multimedia/Smiltheque-fra.html
>>http://www.reseau.it/smil/smilapp_en.html
>>(unfortunately, the server seems to be down - but they
>>are impressive, trust me :-))
>>
>>-Philipp

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.