RE: SMIL 2.0 animation article

Whoa nelly! Peel yourself off the ceiling there, Mike.

IE 5.5 uses a behavior (time2) to implement the XHTML+SMIL profile of SMIL2.
This is not a custom extension, but rather part and parcel of SMIL 2.  All
the syntax for animation and timing are shared and consistent with the SMIL
2.0 language profile, but are simply integrated with XHTML (that was a major
reason for modularizing SMIL functionality). IE 5.5 is one of the first
commercially available implementations of SMIL 2. Perhaps that is what was
confusing you? Many of the other commonly used "SMIL" browsers are still
supporting SMIL 1 (although that is rapidly changing).

The IE 5.5. implementation is not perfect, but the interoperability of IE5.5
animation and animation support in Adobe's SVG browser has already been
demonstrated (again not 100%, but these are early implementations). The
interop testing for IE and the other implementations of SMIL 2 syntax and
semantics is ongoing. We are all committed to developing and supporting a
common, consistent language and semantics for declarative multimedia for the
Web.

I can understand your frustration with consistent support for SMIL, but I
think you might want to do a little more homework before you lay all the
blame at MSFT's doorstep. Nevertheless, thanks for looking into the support!

Patrick

Patrick Schmitz
Researcher - Telepresence and Ubiquitous Media
Microsoft Bay Area Research Center
http://research.microsoft.com/~pschmitz/