Re: SMIL documents and Macintosh

David Mims wrote:

> Hello. I just recently switched to the mac platform and have a couple of
> questions. I have several SMIL files I created on a NT machine for local
> playback(mainly slideshows and movies using RealPix, RealText, Real Video
> and RealAudio) but when I try to open them on my IMac (Imac DV SE 400 mhz
> with 128 ram) I seem to have no luck. And when I try to open the actual
> script file to edit it with Apple simple text, the tags seem to have not
> been translated exactly and a few odd symbols appear in front of every line.
> But if I edit them under DreamWeaver (viewing the source) everything seems
> okay except playback. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as
> compatability issues or what not? Any help would be appreciated. By the way,
> I'm not a professional programmer (yet), just found that SMIL was a fun way
> to do some cool things with multimedia.

Odd characters in documents brought from another platform would probably
interfere with the validity of the file.

You might try bringing them into BBEdit and doing a "convert to ascii"
or "zap gremlins" on the files to make sure they don't have gunk that
was created in the transition.

BBEdit is here: http://www.barebones.com/

And there's an XML editor you might be interested in -- Emile -- http://www.in-progress.com/

HTH,