RDF Validator issue when validating www.w3.org URLs (was: Re: [pedantic-web] Encoding issues when dereferencing "formats:" URIs)

Dear RDF Validator team,

The issue that Damian reports looks like some bizarre caching/networking/load-balancer thing in the W3C infrastructure.

1. It has nothing to do with RDF, encoding, or BOMs. It affects all URLs (incl. non-RDF files) from certain domains. The reported byte value depends on the size of the file and is always somewhere within the last couple of kByte.

2. The domains that don't work are www.w3.org, dev.w3.org, and all the various aliases for www.w3.org such as web4.w3.org, web5.w3.org, www-mit.w3.org, hans.w3.org, and ipv4.w3.org. I couldn't find any non-w3.org domains that exhibit the problem, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Other w3.org subdomains like people.w3.org work fine.

3. Curiously, for all the alias subdomains listed above, I was able to validate *the first* URL successfully. After that, re-validating the same URL, or any other URL from the same domain, results in the usual error.

4. Furthermore, there is *one* URL on www.w3.org that can always be successfully validated, and that's the URL of the validator servlet itself: http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/ARPServlet . This is probably related to the fact that the ARPServlet doesn't run on the main W3C webserver(s), but on a separate machine at http://smithers.w3.org/servlet/ARPServlet that seems to be reverse-proxied into the www.w3.org URL space.

5. I ran the troublesome function ARPServlet.getRDFFromURI() locally on my own machine, and it can read from all the affected URLs just fine. (Assuming the link that Damian posted is the right version of ARPServlet.) There's nothing suspicious in the code, it all looks very normal and just uses standard Java APIs, no potentially buggy libraries or anything. So I doubt the answer is in there. (It should have better error reporting for the IOException as Damian pointed out; seeing what the actual exception is *might* reveal a clue.)

Now I hope someone at W3C can make sense of this!

Best,
Richard