Re: accepting non-rdf:RDF root shouldn't require knowing to go to extended interface

2009/8/10 Barclay, Daniel <daniel@fgm.com>:
> I wrote:
>> report=The <rdf:RDF> is not always required, but the parser doesn't
>> recognize any triples when the given XML document doesn't
>> have a root <rdf:RDF> element.
>>
>> The RDF/XML specification currently at
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/ says:
>>
>> When there is only one top-level node element inside rdf:RDF, the
>> rdf:RDF can be omitted ...
>>

>> RDF=<?xml version="1.0">
>> <rdf:Description
>>     xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>>     xmlns:dct="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
>>
>>     rdf:about="http://example.com/music#piece23">
>>   <dct:title>Machine</dct:title>
>> </rdf:Description>
>
> Someone pointed out the "RDF is NOT enclosed in <RDF>...</RDF> tags"
> option on the Extended Interface page.
>
> Getting the parser to accept all legal RDF/XML syntax should not
> require the user to know ahead of time to go to the extended interface
> page.
>
> The first page should give that information (ideally explicitly, but
> at least with a strong hint that the "more options" are not just
> fancy output/display options, but involve a basic RDF/XML
> conformance option).

I don't disagree, well at least giving a stronger hint seems like a
reasonable UI move.

But I'm curious how the validator behaves with 'headless' RDF/XML
served from a URI as application/rdf+xml, or for that matter with
application/xml (with apologies for not testing myself - a case where
asking seems likely to be quicker).

Cheers,
Danny.

--