Re: New RIF drafts

Sandro Hawke wrote:
> We have some new drafts from the Rule Interchange Format (RIF) Working
> Group.  While the group is not targeted at producing a "Semantic Web
> Rule Language", its output will cover much of the same space.  I suggest
> anyone interested in rule languages (especially from a web perspective)
> take a look at what RIF is doing and send comments:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-bld/   (our first RIF dialect, Horn with Equality)
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-fld/   (framework for more logic dialects)
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-rdf-owl/  (how to use BLD with RDF, OWL-DL, OWL-Full)
>
> Instructions for commenting are in the drafts.

Thanks Sandro!

Given your comment that  'the group is not targeted at producing a
"Semantic Web Rule Language"' could you say a few words on how that
differs from 'The mission of the Rule Interchange Format (RIF) Working
Group is to produce W3C Recommendations for rules interchange on the
semantic web', which I read on
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/RIF_Working_Group. An innocent reader
untrained in W3C legalities might consider the two rather closely
related. What is the key difference here?

And yup, I'd second your call for Semantic Webby people to take a good
long look at these specs. To be honest I fear that many have stopped
tracking the RIF work due to these kinds of disclaimers, ie. people have
stopped expecting the group to come up with a language that captures
patterns expressed in terms of RDF data. WGs sometimes respond to
encouragement as well as complaint; perhaps if people here find value in
that side of the work, they can communicate this in review comments.

The charter says

    "The Working Group will have to balance the needs of a diverse
community — including Business Rules and Semantic Web users — specifying
extensions for which it can articulate a consensus design and which are
sufficiently motivated by use cases." --
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/charter.html

I guess
http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-rdf-owl/#Overview_of_RDF_and_OWL_Compatibility
is a good place to start.