Re: AtomList infinite or cyclic in all models

Ian MacLarty wrote:

> Now, back to the issue at hand.  For me, having rdf:nil a member of
> AtomList as it stands is problematic, since it means that in all models
> rdf:nil must have values for the rdf:first and rdf:rest properties,
> because of the cardinality restrictions imposed by AtomList.

Checks .. yes, you are quite right that definition appears broken.

I clearly wasn't very awake yesterday when I replied and had thought
they were just maxCardinality constraints :-(

> If AtomList were renamed to "NonEmptyAtomList" and AtomList was instead
> defined as the union of NonEmptyAtomList and the singleton set
> containing rdf:nil, then I believe the problem would go away.

Agreed.

Another common idiom is to omit the cardinality constraints or reduce
them to maxCardinality. In that case having rdf:nil in the list class is
not a problem. Though that is a less thorough modelling approach than
the NonEmptyXList/XList approach.

Hopefully there will be someone on this list involved with SWRL and able
to comment on what the process might be for errata for the SWRL documents.

Dave