Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> >> [Trimming down to www-rdf-rules]
> >> On Jun 28, 2005, at 3:09 PM, Michael Kifer wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> That this wasn't claimed (or at least strongly suggested) certainly
> >> isn't clear from the architecture diagram that has rules and OWL
> >> "overlapping" with DLP. Similarly, the DLP "shield" diagram also
> >> strongly suggests that the interoperabilty isn't restricted in the way
> >> you suggest.
> >

> >Sorry, you lost me here...
> >In any case, I see no point in arguing about what was "suggested" or
> >"clear" from this or that diagram.
>
> Perhaps you should just acknowledge that most of the pro-DLP patter has been
> very *unclear* about exactly what compatibility it affords.

It has been clear to those who claimed it.
You might have had a different set of defaults though.

> I mean, you claim that the claimed interoperabilty was limited in certain ways
> but 1) I've not heard that *limited* claim from the DLPers before this and 2) I've
> heard plenty that, I'll, for the sake of charity, say "suggests" a great deal of
> interoperabilty.

You may be exaggerating the "plenty" and the "great deal" parts.

> Even if they are, up to "pragmatically negligable" semantic mismatch,
> semantically compatible, the subsetting approach doesn't actually allow for
> reasonably free interaction between the formalisms.

No, nothing is free (except for an occasional lunch).

> Which, I would submit, is a reasonable objective.

Some objectives might be reasonable, but unachievable.

> Anyway, whatever.
>
> [snip]
> >> (If my query contains an explicit default negation operator, this is
> >> closer, although (given non-distinguished variables) certain
> >> (non-ground) things may be provable on one semantics and not the other,
> >> so the results might still differ. Also, cardinality/counting queries
> >> may (or may not!) have implicit default negation, but my expectations
> >> (having worked with OWL for a while) will, well, be toward an open
> >> world. Given that OWL will have been around (and pushed) by the W3C for
> >> several years before a Rules wg can produce a recommendation...things
> >> could get confusing.
> >
> >Things are already confusing and they aren't likely to become clearer.
>
> No need to make them moreso.
>
> >You seem to think that practitioners delve into the semantics of things --
> >big mistake!
>
> The practictioners I work with do. I encourage and support them in that.

This reminds me of the early days of SQL. Back then people believed that
practitioners will actually understand the semantics *and use it*.
The reason SQL is  such a screwed-up language is because the authors went
out of their way to make it "understandable" by non-experts.
(Back then people thought that a company manager will actually be able to
type correct queries and get answers from a DBMS.)

Even the much more user-friendly languages like QBE and its derivatives
(like MS Access) have some hairy semantic problems. But they get the 80% right.

> [snip]
> >> (All I mean is that while I have some similar experiences, I don't have
> >> *enough* experience (and think no one does) in building web KR to have
> >> a good idea what people *should* want!
> >
> >Yes, it is a common problem.
>
> You did get that you were in the scope of the "no one" :)

Yes. Otherwise I would have to debate with you what "enough" means.

[snip]

> >That is, there are problems that are best solved with FOL (incl. OWL) and
> >there are problems for which LP is best.
>
> And on the Web, we will expect a kind of interoperability between solutions to
> these problems and a *chance* of reusing your solution to a particular problem
> in a context that you did not imagine.
>
> Or rather, I think that's what we're aiming at, pie-in-the-sky as it may be.

It depends how high is your sky. If you are aiming at the 7 heavens, then
it is perhaps too high.

> So, why don't we talk about possible integration frameworks?

Yes, why?

> After all, if we can put a plausible solution on the ground I think we can move
> forward. And, if we are to follow what you've said thrice, it should be a
> framework that supports arbitrary KR integration.

I don't believe that arbitrary is possible. But reuse of solutions is possible.

	--michael