Re: swrl.owl is OWL Full and Protege does not support OWL/XML

On Oct 14, 2004, at 3:46 PM, nvdesai@ncsu.edu wrote:

>> I remain puzzled as to how swrl.owl even plays into the Jena parsing
>> situation.  It is not as if swrl.owl defines the semantics or even the
>> syntax of SWRL.

[snip]
> Root of the problem is that any development needs tool support (yes,
> graphics are good). And all editing tools use Jena for parsing/spitting
> purposes. And Jena is an RDF parser !!

Several don't. Including ours, Swoop:
	http://www.mindswap.org/2004/SWOOP/

> swrl.owl allows me to use Protege, either instantiate or subClass SWRL
> classes, and develop my ontologies and rules efficiently. Which is
> fine as
> long as swrl.owl is not going to be deprecated and is going to be
> maintained with the development of the rule language.

Of course it's going to be deprecated, assuming any further work
happens. If it hits a standards body, they'll almost surely change all
sorts of things about it.

Using SWRL is definitely risky, or, at least, more risky than using
something already standardized.
[snip]

> SWRLX and OWLX are good but how would one use them if tools are not
> going
> to support them ?

Write one! :)

I hope to have both editing (in Swoop) and reasoning (in Pellet)
support for a decidable subset of SWRL before the end of the year. We
might even have something hacky (er..hackier) in the next couple of
weeks.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.