Re: Expressiveness question

Ian,

An answer to your question below.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> On January 27, Sheila McIlraith writes:
> >
> > Ian,
> >
> > This is very helpful and interesting.  <Though I need to work through
> > an example in more details to understand all of the implications.>
> >
> > Regarding the question of whether the disjunctive literals in FOL would be
> > encoded as classes or properties in OWL, my sense is that actions (e.g.,
> > a=pickup(x)) would be encoded as classes.  I'll think about whether
> > fluents in the situation calculus (predicates, indexed by the situation
> > term, whose truth value can changes as a result of an action) could be
> > encoded as classes as well.
>
> It isn't obvious to me how you can capture the relationship between a
> and x using a class, but I will wait to hear more.

Think of an action "a" (e.g., "pickup"), as being analogous to a process
in the OWL-S service ontology, and the variable x, being analogous to an
input parameter.  In the original DAML-S, processes (e.g., "pickup") were
modelled as classes, and their input (e.g., "x") as properties.  In the
most recent OWL-S, processes are now instances of classes, but the same
relationship holds.

> If it is the case
> that you can encode one or other of the disjuncts as classes, then I
> believe that you can capture the iff using the rewriting trick that I
> described.

Great.

Sheila