Re: DRS guide -- usage scenario ?

On Jan 15, 2004, at 3:45 PM, Drew McDermott wrote:

>>> [me]
>>> I guess I don't know what "literal" means.  What does it mean?  (Just
>>> point me to the right section of the right technical working group
>>> recommendation working paper formal normative note.)

[the me me]

>> Sure.
>>
>> 	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Datatypes
>> 	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#dtype_interp
>>
>> 	http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/syntax.html#2.1
>> 	http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/direct.html#3.1
>
> I forgot about XML Literals.  I always breezed over them when reading,
> on the assumption that they concerned someone already committed to
> some domain-specific XML dialect they wanted to include in an RDF
> document.

Like RDF/XML :)

> But now!  It seems obvious that this is a terrific way to quote RDF
> stuff.  Why has no thought of this before?

I have! Why do you think I've been pushing literals for months now? :)

> We should certainly
> broaden our definition of atomic formula to include "triples as XML
> literals."  E.g.,
[snip]

Cool.

> I don't think you can say much in Owl about the value of the
> as_literal property.  But DRS-knowledgeable parsers know that what's
> inside must parse as a single RDF triple.

Actually, it's dependent on what your particular datatype reasoner will
say. But, I think, one think
a RDF/XML/OWL datatype reasoner might check is whether some quoted kb
is consistent. I know N3 has some constructs for asserting stuff from a
parsed literal, so there's some thought in this direction.

I need to do a bit more thinking about this.

> I shall change the DRS Guide forthwith.

Cool!

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.