Brackets and Clark Notation in SPARQL

From: James Cerra <jfcst24_public@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:19:57 -0800 (PST)
To: www-rdf-rules@w3.org

Right now, SPARQL uses less-than and greater-than
brackets to identify a URI.  This is probably due to
the influence of N3 and Jena's RDQL.  So they are
shown as:

<http://example.com/uri>

However, this is hard to write in XML, since every
less-than sign should be escaped.  Therefore, I think
SPARQL should use Clark Notation [1] to represent
them.  That is:

{http://example.com/uri}

or even:

{http://example.com/}uri

I don't know whether the second form should be allowed
or not.

Now I am aware that the WG wants to use curly-brackets
where it currently uses parentheses [2].  However
there doesn't seem to be a particular reason given for
the change.  Why change what already works?

--
Jimmy Cerra

[1] http://www.jclark.com/xml/xmlns.htm

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#NestedPatterns