RE: RDF and OWL rules

[mailto:www-rdf-rules-request@w3.org]
> On Behalf Of Dave Reynolds
> Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 10:59 AM
> To: Geoff Chappell
> Cc: RDF Rules
> Subject: Re: RDF and OWL rules
>

> I'm working along similar lines - as one route to providing (partial)
OWL
> support in Jena2.
>
> I'm certainly happy to exchange ideas on this.

Great! I look forward to making continued progress on this.

>I'm not sure that a common
> set,
> that can be mechanically translated into each implementation language,
is
> tractable due to differences in engine assumptions (datalog or not,
sets
> of
> built-in primitives etc). However, a reference set that developers can
use
> as a
> guide to specific implementations would be good.

I agree that's probably a better goal (at least initially). So what's
the best way to express the scope of the effort - an axiomatization of
rdf(s) and owl in LP-style rules? There'd clearly be branches off of
that that depended upon/are limited by the semantics of a particular
reasoner (datalog, stratification, wfs, etc.) and the available
built-ins.

> There might also be some value in sharing additional test cases. The
> working
> group tests are obviously the main tests of concern, but there may be
> role for
> richer test cases for subsets other than OWL-DL (which is well catered
for
> in
> the WG informative tests).

Tests that help to define the boundaries of the owl subset achievable
via an axiomatization would be particularly useful.