Re: plain rules, please [was: Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL) 0.5 released]

My question about the distinction between "deduction" and other forms of
inference was posed to help me better understand the points you have been
making about the utility of non-deductive inferences.

 From your response, I think that "deduction" is the process of finding a
proof in some theory.  Thus, "deductions" (deduced results) are precisely
those that are proven to be true in some (accepted) proof theory.  (And,
maybe, for a proof theory to be acceptable, it must be sound with respect
to some accepted model theory.)

On this basis, I understand the further points you are making to be that
there may be useful results (inferences) that cannot be proven.  Which, I
guess, takes us into issues of how dependable one needs results to be in
order for them to be useful.

Am I following your key points?

(This leaves me wondering if it is not generally possible to turn any
non-deduction into a deduction by strengthening the accompanying proof
theory.  Picking an example from another thread here:  based on a given
knowledge of airports, I might usefully infer, via NAF, that the closest to
my current location is LHR, because I don't know of a closer one (and
there's a general presumption that I know about airports close to my
current location).  This is not a provable deduction, but maybe it is made
so by adding to the proof theory concerned an axiom to the effect that a
given list of airports is complete.)

#g
--

Graham Klyne