RE: What is an RDF Query?

[freed from spam trap -rrs]

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 17:28:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Wagner, G.R." <G.R.Wagner@tm.tue.nl>
To: "'Peter F. Patel-Schneider '" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>,
        "'eric@w3.org '" <eric@w3.org>
Cc: "'www-rdf-rules@w3.org '" <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>

>> Thanks for the clarification. I propose that we use a term for the
>> antecedent that is NOT "assertion". Furthur, I propose that this term
>> either be "query" or that the definition express the commonality with
>> queries.

> I propose that we do not do this.  I oppose calling the antecedant of a
> rule anything other than the antecedant of a rule!

It's not a matter of how you call it, but what form it may
have, or, in other words, from which language it comes.
Obviously, any practical KR system, such as Prolog, relational
databases, or RDF, has an assertion (or input) language defining
the admissible (logical) expressions that may be asserted/inserted
into a KB, and it has a query language defining the admissible
expressions for querying/retrieving knowledge.

Both with respect to bottom-up and to top-down evaluation it is
natural then to define a derivation rule for a specific KR system
in such a way that its antecedant is a query expression and its
consequent is an input expression.

Gerd Wagner
Eindhoven Univ. of Technology