Re: Scope

----- Original Message -----
From: "Libby Miller" <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
To: "Seaborne, Andy" <Andy_Seaborne@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: Scope

[..]
> > Above all, what I would like to see is a common core query language so
that
> > tool sets can choose to provide the same basic query and application
> > programmers don't have to learn a new language for each tool set.  This
> > would also be good so queries can be shipped over SOAP to different RDF
> > stores.
>
> This is a great idea, and Dan Brickley already has some demos using Eric
> Prud'hommeax's Algae and also SquishQL servers, showing that
> SquishQL and Algae can more or less be mapped to each other. A common
> syntax would be very useful, but syntactic differences might be less
> significant if there is a common model of what a query is.

What would be the context of such an effort (finding a common query
language)? what capabilities would be assumed for the server? for example,
the KIF spec describes various conformance dimensions/categories (logical
form, term complxity, etc.) -- would a common query language seek to
encompass a variety of conformance profiles? or would it pick just a small
subset (or a single profile) and define the client/server interactions for
it?

Rgds,

Geoff Chappell