Scope (was RE: newbie)

Gerd Wagner wrote:
> >Notice that this list is only concerned with a restricted
> >form of 1) [declarative logic programming - ed].

and

> Has there ever been a discussion on uses of rules other than
> for enhancing RDFS taxonomies/ontologies on this list?

The rationale for this mailing list is in:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-rules/2001Sep/0000.html

<quote>
Welcome to the www-rdf-rules mailing list. Ralph Swick and Tim
Berners-Lee created this list for the discussion of queries and
rules for RDF data. Likely topics include:

  - APIs for queries, assertions and rule-based systems.
  - Wire protocols for these APIs.
  - User interface and query/rule language descriptions.
  - Implementation details.
  - Unifying framework for inference rules and query systems.
</quote>

which is somewhat wider than just for ontology.

Also:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-rules/2001Jul/0000.html

<quote>
This is a subgroup of RDF Interest to discuss rules and query for RDF and
DAML+OIL.  It may later recommend that a working group be started for
Rules/Query.
</quote>

In particular, this is neutral to the use of rules and also places equals
weight on query and rules.

Query has been explored in [A] and elsewhere; there are many experimental
systems.  Rules is an active area of discovery.  So, although related, the
state of query work and the state of rules work are at different stages
IMHO.  Rules can encompass query;  but that is not to say that only rules
systems should be considered.  The various experimental query systems show
that there can be a natural point of expressive query power which is useful
and natural for application developers.

	Andy

[A] http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/rdf-dev/purls/papers/QL98-enabling/