Re: Inferring Class Membership w/o OWL Full?

On May 7, Pat Hayes writes:

> >For those who didn't follow the debates on the webont mailing list, I
> >should perhaps draw your attention to the sad history of Pat's morbid
> >obsession with DLs. I had hoped that having recognised the problem [1]
> >(the first and hardest step) he would by now be well on the road to
> >recovery. Sadly, it would appear that this is not the case. In fact
> >this is not Pat's first relapse [2], so perhaps we shouldn't be
> >surprised.
> >
> >Ian
> >
> >[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Sep/0411.html
> >[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Dec/0092.html
>
> Perhaps also not uncharacteristically, Ian manages to simultaneously
> be insulting, offensively ad-hominem and to mislead the unwary
> reader.  The acknowledgement in [1] was to a completely unrelated
> misunderstanding arising in part from my reaction to an extended
> series of memoranda claiming to show that (what is now called)
> OWL-Full was impossible, by a specious reference to the set-theoretic
> paradoxes, but also in part, I concede, from my own ignorance of DL
> metatheory at that time. The opinions I expressed in [2] are
> unrelated to [1] , are not a 'relapse' - to acknowledge that DLs are
> a subset of FOL is not to endorse the basing of the entire SW effort
> on that subset - and I still hold them, and will continue to hold
> them.
>
> I won't react to such jibes in future, but the record should be set straight.

Strangely enough, that is exactly what I told myself when I read your
initial email.

The point I was trying to make with my [witty banter|vile character
assassination]* is that, amusing though your ritual DL bashing is, it
obscures the fact that the restriction being discussed here, i.e., not
being able to create a subPropertyOf rdf:type, is nothing to do with
DLs per se, but is required in order to keep the language inside what
I think we agreed to call "conventional" FOL. In fact separating the
syntax of the language from the domain of discourse is fundamental to
most logics.

Ian

* delete as appropriate