Re: OWL off-the-shelf?

Danny Ayers wrote:

> Have you been approaching the rules from the LP angle?

Yes and no. We have three engines at present - a pure forward chainer, a tabled
backward chainer and a hybrid in which forward rules can create additional
backward rules. It is the later that is proving the most useful. The forward
rule components can perform immediate closure on some of the simpler schema
entailments and then translate the schema into backward rules which can be used
for instance queries.

> I'm curious because
> I've been trying to see how far I can get with RDF/OWL in Prolog
> (implemented in Java) - I was hit by loops almost immediately ;-)

Quite. One way round such loops is to use a tabled (aka memoized) engine. If you
haven't already done so, then you might want to take a look at XSB which
supports tabling of predicates.

Cheers,
Dave