Re: reference needed

Bernard Vatant writes:
> Hello Steven
>
> Your question is exactly what Topic Maps Published Subjects address.
> See http://www.mondeca.com/pubsubj/
>
> And singularly the document at:
> http://www.ontopia.net/tmp/pubsubj-gentle-intro.htm

But I don't see that that address the issue in RDF.

Steven Gollery writes:

> > I've been trying to find a reference to an issue that I read about a few
> > weeks ago and now can't remember where I saw it. The situation goes like
> > this:
> >
> > Suppose we want to represent a real world object with a URL. We put a
> > web page at that URL describing the object. Now, when we make statements
> > in RDF (or DAML, or OWL) with that URL as the subject or object, there
> > is a potential confustion about whether the statement is about the web
> > page or about the object that the web page describes. For instance: if a
> > web page describes a particular copy of "War and Peace" and we have an
> > RDF statement that the author of
> > "http://www.mybook.net/WarAndPeace.html" is "Leo Tolstoy", does that
> > mean that he wrote the book, or the web page?

An excellent summary of the issue.

> > This is apparently a topic that has received thorough discussion, and
> > even has a name, so I don't want to talk about it here. I'm just hoping
> > someone can point me to a paper or something that covers this topic.Or
> > just the name of the topic would be enough to start with.

I'm not so sure it has a good name.  It's related to httpRange-14 [1],
but I don't think it's quite the same thing.  In my most recent
attempt to name it, I called it "When Browsable and Unambiguous
Collide" [2], although I don't love that name either.

For RDF (where the syntax offers no support of distinguishing subject
indicators), I recommend using either a HashURI [3] or a 303-redirect
SlashURI [4].

   -- sandro

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#httpRange-14
[2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/WhenBrowsableAndUnambiguousCollide