Re: MISC: Internet Media Type registration: proposed TAG finding

>On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 19:09, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>  From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
>>  Subject: Re: MISC: Internet Media Type registration: proposed TAG finding
>>  Date: 24 May 2002 16:13:32 -0500
>[...]
>>  > The author of the best-friend document, by choosing to use
>>  > ont:UniqueProperty class, licensed inferences
>>  > based on the specification of that class. The conclusion
>>  > that "35" is an :age of :margaret is supported
>>  > by the DAML+OIL spec.
>>
>>  Yes, but not by the RDF spec, and any agent has no business labelling
>>  anything as RDF inferences that are not sanctioned by the RDF model theory.
>
>Hmm... that's one way to think of 'RDF inferences'.
>It's not one that appeals to me.

Well, sorry to speak plainly here, but tough shit. That is what
'inference' *means* when qualified by the name of a formalism. If you
misuse English, then the appropriate thing to do is to ignore what
you say.

>  > > I can think of two agents (cwm and Euler) that
>>  > do a lot more than simple entailment, when
>>  > asked to. I think of them as RDF agents.
>>
>>  They are not.
>
>Er... I accept that as your opinion.
>I disagree.

The please tell us what you do mean by the phrase. Right now I have
no idea what you are talking about, and your usage seems to be in a
world of its own.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes