Re: Implementing statement grouping, contexts, quads and scopes

>On 2002-06-24 20:58, "ext Jonathan Borden" <jonathan@openhealth.org> wrote:
>

>>  The past version of the RDF MT WD discussed 'asserted triples' with the
>>  implication that 'unasserted triples' might also exist. This language was
>>  removed in the current WD, so we must conclude that the current intention of
>>  the current RDF MT WD is that RDF reification in fact is not an acceptable
>>  means of representing an 'unasserted triple'. If I am incorrect, the RDF MT
>>  should state this relationship -- that is the purpose of a model theory,
>>  isn't it?
>
>I agree. The MT would need to be tweaked to provide a resonable
>treatment of reification with regards to expressing unasserted
>triples, so as to provide for layering.

That would a major 'tweak'. IN an earlier (unpublished) version of
the MT, reification was treated in essentially this way. That was
rejected by the WG as being incompatible with large amounts of
deployed code which uses reification differently. The WG has already
taken several decisions regarding reification which would make such a
'tweak' impossible.

Reification is a minefield. It is simply impractical to use it in the
way you want and still preserver RDF legacy code. Please give up on
this one.

Pat

>Patrick
>
>--
>
>Patrick Stickler              Phone: +358 50 483 9453
>Senior Research Scientist     Fax:   +358 7180 35409
>Nokia Research Center         Email: patrick.stickler@nokia.com

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes