Re: Classes and predicates as first class objects

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Stephen Reed wrote:

> Although the cited documentation page does not contain an example of
> quantification over predicates in CycL, here is one:
>
> (implies
>        (and
>            (genlPreds ?PRED ?GENL-PRED)
>            (?PRED ?ARG1 ?ARG2))
>        (?GENL-PRED ?ARG1 ?ARG2))
>
> which Cyc paraphrases into English as:
>
> If ?PRED is a specialized form of ?GENL-PRED and PRED holds of some ARG1
> and some ARG2, then GENL-PRED holds of ARG1 and ARG2.
>
> Much more documentation on Cyc can be found at
> http://www.opencyc.org/doc

Interesting. Thanks for the example/pointers. Having implemented this, can
you folks comment on whether such language features have proved
problematic, useful etc...? Input from folk who've implemented large scale
KR systems is one of the reasons we set up www-rdf-logic.

Dan

--
mailto:danbri@w3.org
http://www.w3.org/People/DanBri/