Re: rdf inclusion

My personal opinion is that if you're using an ontology language, every
term you use must be defined in some ontology (even if only to say that
it is a class or property). Now many, including members of the Joint
Committee and the WebOnt WG, disagree with me. They often argue by
analogy to the Web dropping the need for all hypertext links to actually
point to something. This allowed the Web to scale beyond previous
hypertext systems by simply introducing 404 errors. However, I don't
think the analogy quite works here. The whole point of an ontology is to
achieve some standard agreement on the meaning of terms. If you can just
create a term out of the blue, then what's the point of having an
ontology in the first place?

Still, as you point out, somewhere the system will have to bottom out in
terms that do not have formal definitions. In description logics, they
call these primitive classes. The Semantic Web will have to have
primitive (undefined) classes (or else solve the symbol grounding
problem (ha!)), but I think that these should come from a set of terms
defined by some community (in an ontology). Now, it is not necessary
that everyone build their definitions from the same set of of primitive
classes (that wouldn't scale!), but it is important that when two
different domains need to be integrated, that it is possible to create
ontologies containing axioms that bridge (at least partially) between
the classes defined by the ontologies for these domains.

Jeff