RE: use/mention and reification: rdf:predicate/subject/object [was: RDF Abstract Syntax...]

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:15:13 +0100
To: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
At 02:02 PM 5/27/01 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>I would like to see another proposal to implement containers, particularly
>rdf:Seq. I, and numerous others, find the current syntactic contortion of
><rdf:li> -> rdf:_1 painful. The entire treatment of containers a mess badly
>in need of fixing.

I'm not going to argue with that...

>It turns out that lexical ordering already _has_ a place in RDF, my proposal
>is an attempt to fix the current problem.

... but I don't entirely agree with this.  Lexical ordering has a limited
place in the XML serialization of RDF, and RDF (abstract syntax) may
sometimes be called upon to represent lexical ordering of items.  But I
regard one of the strengths of RDF (abstract syntax) to be that the
information represented is independent of lexical ordering of RDF statements.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)