RE: CG: Re: Is the meaning of order intrinsic ?

From: Emery, Pat <pemery@grci.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:15:42 -0400
To: "'sowa@bestweb.net'" <sowa@bestweb.net>
Cc: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>, cg@cs.uah.edu, www-rdf-logic@w3.org, "'Newton Jose Vieira'" <nvieira@dcc.ufmg.br>
>> To put things in an order is to arrange them in a sequence.

The statement is reference the websters definition
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=order
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=arrange+

>A sequence is an example of a linear order.  A much more common
>kind of order is a partial ordering, of which trees, lattices,
>and general acyclic graphs are examples.  But there are many
>different kinds of graphs, all of which are orderings.

The partial ordering you refer to is a more technical or mathematical
definition.

>>For example take a look at:
>>http://www.shu.edu/html/teaching/math/reals/infinity/defs/ordering.html or
>>http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/foldoc/9/116.htm

>>I think all that you need for an intrinsic or non-intrinsic
>>defintition of order is to be able to define a function.

More precisely I guess this should say, all you need for a definition of
order is to
be able to define an antisymmetric relation for any two elements x and y in
A where A is the set of elements to be ordered.

The programmer in me just wants to simplify this to defining a function. :)

Pat