Re: What do the ontologists want

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Subject: Re: What do the ontologists want
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 13:08:56 -0400

> Peter--
>
> It seems to me when you say "makes it essentially impossible to use the
> semantics for the positive ground triples to represent domain
> information" you're going a bit beyond what Pat said.  It seems to me
> that Pat was pointing out that all RDF allowed you to do in the example
> was define a collection of relationships between some instances
> ("positive ground triples");  it didn't give those relationships any
> special semantics, either logical (to support inferencing) or domain
> semantics.  If I say "author(a,b)", RDF doesn't define the semantics of
> what an "author" is either (we want DAML+OIL to do things like that).
[
]
> However, I presumably can use a collection of "author(X,Y)" triples to
> represent useful domain information (given that my processor knows how
> to interpret "author" properly, of course).  This is what databases do
> all the time, and what the simplest examples of RDF illustrate.

This is precisely the sort of thing that I meant when I said that there are
useful things that RDF can represent.  I'm sorry if I was unclear in what I said.

> Now suppose I introduce some new relationships like "premis" and
> "conclusion" (and possibly some other encoding tricks to get everything
> into triples).  It seems to me it's certainly possible to mix triples
> involving "premis" and "conclusion" (and any other relationships needed
> for the encoding) with triples involving "author", "subject", and other
> domain relationships, and not mess up whatever domain semantics I get
> out of the domain relationships, provided I can properly separate the
> stuff that is to be interpreted as part of the "more-expressive"
> formalism from the stuff that is to be the ground facts.
> Or, to translate this into database terms, suppose I take my relational
> database and store my ground triples representing authors in it.  Now
> suppose I add some additional tables to the database to support an
> encoding of logical rules, to be operated on by some inference engine.
> The same author information (domain semantics) can be extracted from the
> database as before those additional tables were added, so I haven't lost
> the ability to represent domain information (any ability you already
> had, that is).  But obviously you need to make sure that you keep the
> use of the domain tables appropriately separated from the tables
> representing the "more expressive formalism" if you're going to make any
> sense of what you have.  In other words, RDF doesn't restrict the
> relationships you define to any one level of abstraction (whether one of
> those levels is called "encoding" or not), but it doesn't provide any
> magic means of defining (much of) the semantics of those relationships
> (no matter what level they are), or sorting those levels out either.

This is what I think that *cannot* be in RDF, at least as it stands now.
In RDF as it stands now the ``premis'' and ``conclusion'' triples are given
exactly the same semantic import as the ``author'' and ``subject''
triples.  Even worse, the triples that are used with the ``premis'' and
``conclusion'' triples are also given the same semantic standing, and these
triples will have ``author'' and ``subject'', or other domain predicates,
as their predicates.  There is no mechanism (in RDF) for separating the
triples that actually convey domain meaning from those that are just part
of implications, or negations, or existenials, or ....

This is why I say that you cannot use RDF semantics when you have an
encoding of more-expressive formalism.  There is no way (in RDF) to
separate the triples that have direct semantic meaning from those that need
other treatment.

> --Frank

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research