Re: What do the ontologists want

At 11:58 AM -0400 5/21/01, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>In defense of stripped-down RDF, there is nothing technically wrong with a
>logical formalism that can represent only positive ground triples.  Such a
>formalism can certainly convey some useful semantic information.
>
>It is just that such a representation formalism cannot be used to
>*represent* anything more than positive ground triples.  Using positive
>ground triples to encode a more-expressive formalism requires encoding, which
>requires a new semantics, defined on top of the semantics for the positive
>ground triples, and makes it essentially impossible to use the semantics
>for the positive ground triples to represent domain information.
>
>Peter F. Patel-Schneider
>Bell Labs Research

In other words, if someone built an ontology language on top of an
RDF-like langauge we could do important things with it.  Gee, why
didn't I think of that?
  -JH

Dr. James Hendler		jhendler@darpa.mil
Chief Scientist, DARPA/ISO	703-696-2238 (phone)
3701 N. Fairfax Dr.		703-696-2201 (Fax)
Arlington, VA 22203		http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler