RE: Why Triples? (was Re: What do the ontologists want)

From: Danny Ayers <danny@panlanka.net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 21:01:18 +0600
To: "pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

    I also suspect that there is something happening at a psychological
level in these arguments - it's far easier for a human to relate to
information in a structure like that below - but is this necessarily the
case for machines?

  Yes, there are significant computational advantages. In general, the more
stuff you can incorporate into the unifier, the more efficient the inference
search: you tend to be trading an exponential for a linear cost, a very good
trade.

  I'm not really convinced, but am not going to press the point as you are
considerably more familiar with the territory than I am.
  Instead, I'd like to ask you to give the case *in favour* of triples -
surely there's a baby in the bath somewhere?