Re: What do the ontologists want

From: Jim Hendler <jhendler@darpa.mil>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 04:31:50 -0400
To: Drew McDermott <drew.mcdermott@yale.edu>, www-rdf-logic@w3.org
>or representing information
>    in the WWW.
>
>For the record, since Pat Hayes seems to playing Don Quixote all by
>himself in this discussion, let me say that I agree with about 95% of
>what he says, and Peter probably does too.  The only reason we haven't
>jumped in earlier is that we have said it all before.
>
>I do think we owe the group a concrete proposal for fixing RDF/DAML.
>I made such a proposal
>(http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/dvm/daml/proposal.html),
>and am now rethinking it.  The most urgent change is to get rid of the
>triples idea; then most of the pressure for reification will vanish.
>
>                                              -- Drew McDermott

Let's be clear that Drew doesn't speak for all us ontologists when he
recommends getting rid of the triples - some of us (me included)
think that it is very useful to be based on RDF and triples rather
than inventing something new just for the sake of doing so...
  -JH
--
Prof. James Hendler		Program Manager
DARPA/ISO			703-696-2238 (phone)