Re: rdf as a base for other languages

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Chappell" <geoff@sover.net>
To: "Peter Crowther" <peter.crowther@networkinference.com>; "'Graham Klyne'"
<GK@ninebynine.org>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2001 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: rdf as a base for other languages

> It only seems reasonable that any number of different reasoning systems
will
> be build to work with RDF with many accepting the various logical
> restrictions of prolog, datalog, etc. in exchange for performance. Surely
> each of these systems can encode its own language as rdf triples. Even if
it
> means that only a similar system can interpret that language, any system
can
> interpret the output of the system (as long as it is conforming ground
> triple rdf). And if each of those systems included a description of its
> reasoning system in kif, we would have the basis for interchange of other
> than ground facts between systems.
>
> Is that unreasonable? unworkable?
>
> Geoff

Just playing with this concept a bit more...

Imagine there is a kb identified by a url (http://www.somewhere.com/kb)

The kb is a prolog-based system containing:

s('type','mycar','car').
s('hasPart',X,'wheel'):-s('type',X,'car').

Imagine the system supports content type negotiation.

An agent requesting the kb as application/x-rdf-simple will get
(appropriately xml-ized):
    {rdf:type,mycar,car}
    {hasPart,mycar,wheel}

An agent requesting the kb as application/x-rdf-prolog will get
(appropriately xml-ized):
    {rdf:type,mycar,car}
    {rdf:type,rule1,prolog:rule}
    {prolog:body,rule1,triple1}
    {prolog:head,rule1,tripe2}
    {...} reified triples of head and body

An agent requesting the kb as application/x-rdf-kif will get (appropriately
xml-ized):
    {rdf:type,mycar,car}
    {rdf:type,rule1,prolog:rule}
    {prolog:body,rule1,triple1}
    {prolog:head,rule1,tripe2}
    {...} reified triples of head and body
    {...} triple(s) in in kif mapping prolog rules (in general) to kif
functionality
    {...} triple(s) describing unique names assumption
    {...} triple(s) describing closed world assumption

You can imagine that there could be translation servers that would supply
you with application/x-rdf-n3, application/x-rdf-daml, etc. even if the
system didn't support it directly.

Is there any value in this perspective? Does RDF in its current incarnation
fit as the bottom layer (as described here)?

Geoff