Re: Why must the web be monotonic ?

From: "pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>

> Right now, DAML+OIL and RDF have not entered into this area, but
> 'rules' languages need to consider it seriously, in my view. The
> global advantages of monotonicity should not be casually tossed
> aside, but at the same time the computational advantages of
> nonmonotonic reasoning modes is hard to deny, and they are widely
> used in the current state of the art. We need ways for them to
> co-exist smoothly.

How about just stating that a given context is monotonic like the following?

[1] {TheGroup containsMembers Pat, Tim, exp(membersOf  RDFLogic). }
instanceOf MonotonicContext.

This syntax of [1] is an extension of N3 called Semenglish, please find the
Bacus Naur definiton at [2]

[2] http://robustai.net/mentography/SyntaxSemenglish7.gif

Thanks, as always,  for you clearity.

Seth Russell