Re: universal languages

Hi Stefan,

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Stefan Decker wrote:

> Without unique object identifiers there is no way to
> construct a "web" of interconnected data.

Nonsense :) So long as there is _some_ way of identifying things through
description, we get a hypertext Web. We don't need to assign "URIs" to
each object to achieve this. But it does help. As does relating those
URI-less objects to things picked out by URI. I fear we URI zealots tend
to overstate the case sometimes...

"without being able to identify objects there's no way to describe their
inter-relationships" is probably what you should've said. Put like that
it's hardly worth arguing over. Though I expect we could try!

Dan